Also noted in the State of Tech Hiring 2023 report:
- Despite volatility in the tech sector, developers feel secure in their jobs. One-third of those surveyed reported feeling more secure than last year and 41% reported no significant change.
- The top three technical skills developers want to learn are web development, artificial intelligence/machine learning, and game development.
- The top three skills sought by recruiters are web development, devops, and database software development.
- Developers’ main challenges at work include unplanned changes to their schedule, unclear direction, and a lack of technical knowledge by team members.
- 59% of developers do not have a university degree in computer science. Nearly one-third consider themselves primarily self-taught.
- Most teams are now hybrid between remote and on-site work. Only 15% work onsite 100% of the time.
- Freelance developer work is becoming increasingly popular.
Copyright © 2023 IDG Communications, Inc.